Sunday, March 28, 2010

Book 16- True Colors

I hate it when I start a book and it ends up being a romance novel. I got sucker punched by True Colors by Kristin Hannah!

I am not a fan of romance novels of any kind. I can tolerate a bit of "chick lit" because it's usually funny. This was a pure romance novel dressed up like a piece of contemporary fiction. I read it because it was one of those "if you like Jodi Picoult, then you'll love Hannah"- no no no and no. Those two authors are not in the same ballpark, not even the same league!

This is about three sisters who are raised by a mean old daddy after their mama dies. Daddy has a favorite daughter- Vivi, who is the princess. Win is the oldest, is fat and is a lawyer and is dying for true love and the approval of her father. Aurora is the middle child who is peace keeper, and is perfect, apparently.

Vivi meets and marries the ranch hand who is half Indian/ half white; he's "bad news" but they have a "true love that will never die." At this point, it's all blah blah blah, yammer yammer yammer. The girls fight, someone goes to prison, they hold grudges, a son is born and grows up without a daddy, is there true love, pills, booze, and a syrupy ending. Oh yuck-o.

I think it's safe to say I'm not a fan.

0 Comments: