Monday, July 4, 2011

Book 33 (2011): Sisterhood Everlasting

Sisterhood Everlasting is the 5th installment of the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series. Though I'm almost 40 years old, I had to read this. I'm not sure why, when I was 30, I even read the first book in the series since it's for young adults, but I did and have been hooked. Since we have the other 4 in our school library, I embraced this 5th novel and immediately squired it away for my holiday read.

This time we meet the 'sisters' as they are all ready to turn 30: Bee living with Eric in California, Carmen the actress in NYC, Lena teaching art in Rhode Island, and Tibby living in Australia with Brian. All four of them are living their own lives as adults.

On the verge of being 30, Tibby comes up with a plan to bring them all together in Greece. They all arrive and while there tragedy strikes. The story continues on, following how each of the girls (women now, I guess) deals with the blow that struck them all.

When I hit around page 100 I was sickened at what author Ann Brashares had done to the characters, to her readers, to me. I couldn't fathom how the rest of this story was going to play out. It was an excellent read for those who are fans of the Pants series, and it certainly strikes a chord.

I don't want to spoil anything, so I'll suffice it to say that the grown up Sisterhood is just as good as, or maybe even better, than the teenagers we met 10 years ago. (349 pages)

A

0 Comments: